A sculptor friend of mine just harangued me for signing some of my works with Sharpie.
He has a point.
I did a little research and discovered a few things I should improve upon regarding my John Hancock.
- Sign in the same medium as the art itself. Use oil paint to sign an oil painting, etc.
- Don't sign on top of varnish. It looks like an afterthought.
- If at all possible, sign when the paint is still wet. Apparently this is harder to forge, and makes collectors happy.
- Sign legibly so work can always be identified and doesn't end up making a surprise appearance on Antiques Roadshow.
- Date that shit. Preferably on the back.